2 Tbl butter or margarine (more, if you like)
handful of dried Porcini mushrooms
3 Tbl pine nuts
4 Tbl chopped fresh chives
Chicken or beef stock
Grated hard cheese (your choice, the Captain used Grana Padana, which is similar to parmigiano)
1. Soak the mushrooms in milk to cover for at least one hour
2. Boil the barley in ample salted water for 15 minutes; drain.
3. In same pan saute the pine nuts in butter or margarine until browned.
4. Add the porcini (including the milk in which they soaked), barley and the chives, cover well with stock and simmer, covered, until barley is tender (about 30 minutes). Add more broth as needed.
5. Let sit for half an hour or until all the moisture is absorbed; if there is residual moisture, pour it off.
6. Pour it all into oven-proof dish, reheat in microwave until hot and cover with grated cheese and put under a broiler until the cheese browns. If you haven’t a microwave, put it under a low broiler for about 15 minutes, then under a high broiler until brown.
I don’t know if the captain would agree, but lacking pine nuts I think this would be very good with sauteed pecans or even walnuts.