with thanks to Sherri Harris who developed this recipe and is willing to share it…
4 C Half and half, or light cream
2 C heavy cream
2 vanilla beans
1 ½ C white sugar
½ C light brown sugar
15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
1. Combine the Half and Half and cream in a saucepan; add sugars.
2. Split and scrape the vanilla beans into the saucepan (keep the pods to make vanilla sugar).
3. Add spices and pumpkin stirring to incorporate. Bring to 170 degrees F to dissolve the sugars.
4. Remove from heat and sieve to remove possible lumps. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
5. Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions
Pour into a bowl (metal is preferable) and freeze. From time to time, scrape frozen mixture away from the sides.
Sherri let this harden for a couple of hours before serving, and also found that it keeps well for a couple of days.
Serve “as is” or with a selection of toppings: candied pecans, rum raisins and caramel sauce were all hits!
NOTE: this makes more ice cream than my ice cream machine can handle. It is possible to halve the recipe and have a lot of ice cream.